setting up dynamic dns for only specific subdomains setting up dynamic dns fo...

Topic: setting up dynamic dns for only specific subdomains

Post setting up dynamic dns for only specific subdomains
by twotone on 2016年2月11日

Hello,

I have a domain where there is a main site hosted at an isp where the main DNS settings are. For example, mysite.com is hosted at myhost.com and myhost.com handles DNS. However, I am setting up a test server and an api server that my need dynamic DNS. I have tried to set this up. Can you please tell me what is the IP address at Dynu where I point the subdomains? And does this look right?:

At myhost.com
Added A record: subdomain api (for api.mysite.com) points to 173.208.132.91 (Is this Dynu IP address?)
Added A record: subdomain servtest (for servtest.mysite.com) points to 173.208.132.91

At Dynu:
set up top level domain mysite.com to forward to the IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx of my api/test server

Am I doing this correctly?

Reply with quote | Report
Post Re: setting up dynamic dns for only specific subdomains
by timothytw on 2016年2月11日

Here are the settings that you should configure:

At your current host:
Add NS records for api.yoursite.com and servtest.yoursite.com to use the following name servers:

NS1.DYNU.COM
NS2.DYNU.COM
NS3.DYNU.COM
NS4.DYNU.COM
NS5.DYNU.COM

At Dynu:
Sign up for dynamic DNS service for api.yoursite.com and servtest.yoursite.com at https://www.dynu.com/ControlPanel/AddDDNS and point them to your api/test server IP.

Post Re: Re: setting up dynamic dns for only specific subdomains
by u2live79 on 2017年3月13日

timothytw wrote:Here are the settings that you should configure:

At your current host:
Add NS records for api.yoursite.com and servtest.yoursite.com to use the following name servers:

NS1.DYNU.COM
NS2.DYNU.COM
NS3.DYNU.COM
NS4.DYNU.COM
NS5.DYNU.COM

At Dynu:
Sign up for dynamic DNS service for api.yoursite.com and servtest.yoursite.com at https://www.dynu.com/ControlPanel/AddDDNS and point them to your api/test server IP.
This Doesn't make any sense as api.yoursite.com is a sub domain and hosting companies don't allow you to add a subdomain like api.yoursite.com and point it to different name servers than your yoursite.com (main) domain.

Post Re: Re: Re: setting up dynamic dns for only specific subdomains
by timothytw on 2017年3月15日

u2live79 wrote:
timothytw wrote:Here are the settings that you should configure:

At your current host:

NS1.DYNU.COM
NS2.DYNU.COM
NS3.DYNU.COM
NS4.DYNU.COM
NS5.DYNU.COM

At Dynu:
This Doesn't make any sense as api.yoursite.com is a sub domain and hosting companies don't allow you to add a subdomain like api.yoursite.com and point it to different name servers than your yoursite.com (main) domain.
If your DNS service provider does not have the infrastructure to assign name servers to sub domain names, you can work around it by signing up a free third level domain name say testapi.ddnsfree.com at https://www.dynu.com/en-US/ControlPanel/AddDDNS by using option 1. Then at your DNS service provider, you can add a CNAME record for api.yoursite.com to point to testapi.ddnsfree.com.

For the record, Dynu does allow you to add custom name servers for your sub domain names if you have your main domain name hosted here.

by shunju on 2017年8月22日

I just created an account here also hoping to have only certain subdomains routed dynamically and found this thread immensely helpful.

I have a vServer with root rights and my provider does indeed not allow creating custom NS records. They do however allow me to specify my own nameserver. Now I’ll have to figure out whether to switch from using their nameserver to using my server as its own nameserver and have it point subdomains to dynu’s nameserver or whether to just add a CNAME record to the configuration while still using their nameserver… The latter seems easier. Are there any drawbacks to the CNAME workaround as far as performance and reliability are concerned?

by timothytw on 2017年8月23日

shunju wrote:I just created an account here also hoping to have only certain subdomains routed dynamically and found this thread immensely helpful.

I have a vServer with root rights and my provider does indeed not allow creating custom NS records. They do however allow me to specify my own nameserver. Now I’ll have to figure out whether to switch from using their nameserver to using my server as its own nameserver and have it point subdomains to dynu’s nameserver or whether to just add a CNAME record to the configuration while still using their nameserver… The latter seems easier. Are there any drawbacks to the CNAME workaround as far as performance and reliability are concerned?
If your provider allows you to specify your own name server, you can specify Dynu name servers? or it has to be ns1.yourdomain.com etc.?

There are no known drawbacks to configuring CNAME records but it is always preferred to configure the subdomains directly to use dynamic DNS.

by shunju on 2017年8月23日

Thank you for your reply.

I could probably specify Dynu nameservers, but my provider’s webinterface is really shaky and I don’t want to break anything by clicking buttons. The other thing is: I have so many subdomains already that I would need a paid account if I were to use Dynu as my nameserver. I’m currently on a tight budget and 10$/month is too much for something I’m just trying out and am not sure when I’ll get to really use it. (Intended use: I plan on using an old low-power notebook with a new big hard drive to host my ownCloud, eventually. But I currently don’t have the money to afford the drive and when I do, I’ll probably be too busy with work and children again.)

If the CNAME version works just as well, I’ll try it out with that. At some point, I’ll have to completely rethink my choice of servers anyway, including DNS. I’ll keep in mind that CNAME isn’t the preferred way of doing it.

by timothytw on 2017年8月24日

shunju wrote:Thank you for your reply.

I could probably specify Dynu nameservers, but my provider’s webinterface is really shaky and I don’t want to break anything by clicking buttons. The other thing is: I have so many subdomains already that I would need a paid account if I were to use Dynu as my nameserver. I’m currently on a tight budget and 10$/month is too much for something I’m just trying out and am not sure when I’ll get to really use it. (Intended use: I plan on using an old low-power notebook with a new big hard drive to host my ownCloud, eventually. But I currently don’t have the money to afford the drive and when I do, I’ll probably be too busy with work and children again.)

If the CNAME version works just as well, I’ll try it out with that. At some point, I’ll have to completely rethink my choice of servers anyway, including DNS. I’ll keep in mind that CNAME isn’t the preferred way of doing it.
The paid membership is $9.99/year.

Post Re: Re: Re: setting up dynamic dns for only specific subdomains
by shunju on 2017年8月25日

Wow, awesome! Thanks for clearing that up. I am so used to everything being billed monthly (and 10$/month does seem reasonable to me) that I completely missed that.

Using Dynu’s nameserver for my domains would make things quite a bit easier, especially since I’m planning on having multiple servers soon, but my provider only allows for rudimentary nameserver configurations and I don’t really want to get into setting up my own master-slave nameservers.

2024年4月18日 10:48